Facts About MAU
1. MAU transported its first patient from Montclair Community Hospital six months after being formed.
2. MAU's first ambulance cost $10,043, today an ambulance costs over $180,000
3. MAU was based out of the Red Cross building for its first four years of operations.
4. MAU has had four "homes" in over 60 years....Red Cross Bldg. on Park St, 69 Portland Place, 86 Valley Road and 95 Walnut Street
5. MAU's first "paid employee" was hired in 1985. Today MAU has over 40 staff members including, Administrative, Operations and Career and Intern EMTs
6. MAU has responded to over 185,000 requests for service since 1953 MAU is a member agency of the New Jersey EMS Task Force and hosts the Essex County EMS Staging Unit and ASAP-15 Off Road Rescue Vehicle.
In 1952, some Montclair residents founded the Montclair Ambulance Unit (MAU) to provide emergency medical care for their friends and neighbors. Soon after the first official call in 1953, MAU bought its first ambulance for $10,043. (Today the cost is over $260,000!)
By 1958, MAU had responded to 2,620 requests for service with an active volunteer staff of fifty-seven men and six women. Additional volunteers from the Junior League helped in the office with the "phone tree" when an ambulance need was requested. Soon the Montclair Police began sending emergency requests directly - proving the essential service of having a local ambulance unit.
MAU has maintained many headquarters during its grow: 69 Portland Place, 1 Mountainview Place (later addressed as 86 Valley Road), and currently 95 Walnut Street. In 2010 MAU established its operational model which continues today: Chief, Deputy Chief, EMS Supervisors, and Executive Director.
Ambulances manned and ready, MAU responds to over 3,200 medical emergencies, mutual aid calls to surrounding towns (when available), and working fires supporting the Montclair Fire Department. MAU is a New Jersey EMS Task Force agency, assisting with specialized EMS resources at major incidents like Superstorm Sandy, Hurricanes Florence and Michael, and search efforts in Surfside, Florida.
Though times have changed since its founding, Montclair Ambulance Unit continues to provide professional, responsive, patient-first care, while remaining dedicated to being a community based, industry-leading, emergency medical service organization.
Meet Our Team
Chief of EMS
Deputy Chief of EMS
Montclair Ambulance Unit’s
Board of Trustees are dedicated and active members of the community.
Dr. Christopher Valerian, DO
Lisa Barsanti Hoyt
Walter P. Springer
Director of Development
Firefighters battle blaze in Upper Montclair
Montclair Ambulance Unit Deputy Chief Michael Craig said there were no injuries as a result of the fire. Oxygen was administered to one of the cats that escaped the blaze. The pet was reclaimed by its owner shortly afterward.
Heroes Next Door tours our HQ
Montclair Ambulance Unit provided a tour to Heroes Next Door YouTube channel before our Lowes' Hometown Grant rennovations!
Heroes Next Door tours our Special Operations Vehicles
Ever wonder what is inside MAU's pickup truck or trailer? Take a look to see what is inside!